vineri, 14 ianuarie 2011

The mind can tour the Universe

(This is my first post in a foreign language, so please, just read it and don't try to teach me how to write! Also, you should know that this is my english homework. It might be too puerile for your taste.)

"Although I cannot move and I have to speak through a computer, in my mind I am free..."
I don’t know how many people recognize this quote, but I do know how representative this is for the genius of a man. His name is Stephen Hawking and he is the greatest scientist alive.
He describes himself like „physicist, cosmologist and something of a dreamer”, but this is just the humble opinion of a great man. Stephen Hawking is one of the most intelligent scientists ever, with a controversial IQ rated to be over 160, even near 190. His fame emerged after he started his researches on black holes, becoming one of the most promising cosmologists, at that time. The passion for the Universe, Big Bang theory and time paradoxes, materialized in four books which are not written for specialists in particular, but for the big majority of people.
There are a lot more things which set him in a propitious light like the fact that he is born on the day when the world was celebrating 300 years from the Galileo’s death. He was also entitled doctor in physics by the Cambridge University at the age of 20 and this is a really remarkable distinction for a man, even more for a young one.
Unfortunately, he pays for his genius with a big price and that makes the difference between him and the other physicists. He is paralyzed and he can’t speak without a computer. Even so, he continues to teach and do researches in intention to develop the human knowledge. This is the point when we realize that we don’t need a body to be free and run, but a brain to feel like running.
To sum up, I think Stephen Hawking is one of the most important icons of the 21st century and one of the people on this planet who should be truly known and appreciated.

Niciun comentariu: